Re: Linux installs but does not "see" NIC

High,

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, John Foster wrote:

> The scenerio;
> I recently flattened my hard drives to reinstall Linux on 2 of them due
> to storm damage or some hacking from outside . I could never determine
> which. The file systems were corrupted and I was haveing to run e2fsck
> every time I rebooted.  I completely cleared the drives by resizing the
> partitions & rewriting the file systems from the Debian 3.0 installation
> disks (floppies) I want to establish that I did not change out or move
> any cards or other hardware & my 3rd drive with Windows 98se still
> worked fine.  I reinstalled Debian with not problems until I reached the
> point where the network should have started and allowed me to get to the
> internet to use apt to complete the installation. The network
> configuration script said it was finished but that the network was not
> activated "possibly" because I was installing over a broken system,
> howerver it stated that this should be resolved when I rebooted. So I
> continued on & finished the install & rebooted. I saw that the kernel
> found & identified my NIC identifying it properly as a Realtek 8139
> based card.  It did NOT load the module( uses the 8139too)  so I used
> insmod & loaded it. the kernel acknowledged this but still no connection
> to the net.
Huh? My kernel only 'sees' hardware it is configured to see (so the
drivers are loaded when the message is displayed). However, when I insmod
the module after that, I get an error (SIOCCADDR already in use, or
something). Dump the lines from 'dmesg' considering the card, output from
insmod etc.

Dumb question perhaps, but have you configured the card, like:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

and checked 'route -n'?

Greetz,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98