squid and snmp

I am trying to monitor squid with mrtg, for which snmp is needed. As far
as I know snmp support is compiled in by default on Debian (I checked the
debian/rules in the sources), but I can't get it to work.

In /etc/squid.conf I have:

acl snmppublic snmp_community public
snmp_access allow snmppublic allowed_hosts
snmp_access allow snmppublic localhost

which should be enough, according to various documents on the web.
However, when I do a snmp walk, I get this (also according to those

# /usr/share/doc/libsnmp-session-perl/examples/snmpwalkh.pl public@ .

Collecting [system]
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "" [].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1231859598
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/lib/perl5/SNMP_util.pm line 620
SNMPWALK Problem for on public@
 at /usr/share/doc/libsnmp-session-perl/examples/snmpwalkh.pl line 38

(and some more).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98
  16-bit Subsystem. Anyone can see that 16+16=32, so windoze NT is a
  *real* 32-bit system.