pam-ldap headaches

Hi,

Attempting to get sendmail to authenticated vi sasl -> pam.

Now I know that I am making it as far as pam in the authentication, but
pam_ldap is failing. The error is always:
cerberus sm-mta[9724]: pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP
server

running ethereal I can see it lookup the LDAP host, but it never seems to
attempt to connect the ldap host.

Has anyone else seen this. I have this behaviour occuring on woody sarge
and sid, so am really confident it's a user issue ;) any help would really
be appreciated.

Thanks

Stewart