Re: Installing TrueType fonts

Chris Halls <halls@debian.org>

>>In a magazine I've found a CD with many ttf files for the use
>>with Photoshop under windows.
>>What's the straightforward way to install those ttf files under debian
>>woody for the use with gnome 1.4, OpenOffice, and - above all - the
>>Gimp?

[..]

<snip>

Is all that necessary ?? Especially the xfs and xfstt packages ?? XFree86 v4 handles TT fonts on it's own just fine. In fact, I'm 99% positive I have neither xfs nor xfstt packages installed and can use TT fonts.

I'm afraid the situation is even uglier - the xfs protocol does not supply
enough information about the fonts and OpenOffice writer can not use them.

I am not sure why you think this. I installed the 'verdana' ttf font files and verdana is available in OpenOffice 1.0.1 writer on my system (Woody 3.0 running xfs and xfstt as described in my previous post). Also available in the Gimp etc.

Chris
--
Chris Lale   <ctlale@netscape.net>
Using a PC running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 and Netscape 7.