Re: Radeon 8500

>   Im having no luck getting X to work with Debian(3). I have a ATI
> Radeon8500 card. I chose the 2.4 kernel at install time and chose to
> include the ati module (I think).  Here is the end of my
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log file... (snip)
> (II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.3.6) for chipsets: ati, ativga
> (II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
>         ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK
> (PCI), ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PD (PCI),
>         ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PP (PCI),
>         ATI Rage 128 Pro PR (PCI), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI),
>         ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP),
>         ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
> (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
>         ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP),
>         ATI Radeon VE (AGP)
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Generic Video Card".
> (WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 1:0:0 could not be detected!
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
>    I dont know how to "detect" the device. This card is recognized at
> install by Mandrake,Redhat, or slackware .. but I dont remember doing
> anything special to get them working.

I am still new here and not sure what your problem is but I went through
something similar today ....  so take this for what it's worth:

First run "cat /proc/pci" and find out the info about the card.
Run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
There will be a section to enter in the bus info of the card such as:
PCI:0:9:0
where PCI is the bus type (or AGP), the second is the bus number, the
third is the device, the fourth is the function (I think).

I just did this as I added a second video card to a server.
The first video card is an onboard card and its only 4MB.
By running the dpkg-reconfigure command I was able to tell X
to only use the nice new 32MB Radeon 7000 card.  Pretty slick
this thing they call Debian.  :-)

ps...I think you need to include the radeon module....not the ati one.
(I thought they were all in one....but I saw both so try that)