Re: public lending right

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 18:57, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 05:52:33PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Paul Johnson writes:
> > > Non-free would be too much legal effort for a library to go through.
> >
> > I don't see why a public library even in the UK couldn't lend non-free.
> > How would it differ from lending out a non-free book (i.e., the usual
> > kind)?
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if some packages have some goofball
> redistribution clauses, like "May not charge for redistribution."
> Well, what happens when someone doesn't turn it back in on time?  They
> get charged.
>
> --
>  .''`.     Baloo Ursidae <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
> : :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
> `. `'`
>   `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than to fix a system

I think this would be do-able still if it is the physical media that the
library is charging for being overdue, rather than anything to do with
Debian content. The GPL seems to almost encourage that distinction - it
focusses on the IP with clauses indicating that the media is largely
outside the scope of its application.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org