Re: Pwcheck messing up again

Something's definitely wrong with the way i have the server set up.

I finally found the log I was looking for in order to identify the problem as well as the post one Debian user had posted about the same problem. Here's that letter:

I straced pwcheck and inetd (which pop3d is working from) and saw that
the former tries to open /var/run/pwcheck/pwcheck, and the latter
connects to /var/state/pwcheck/pwcheck.

As a workaround, I ln -s ../state/pwcheck /var/run, and it works. But I
don't understand what has happened. I've searched the archives and read
/usr/share/doc/libsasl7/sysadmin.html, but I can't see how pop3d knows
that it should use pwcheck and not anything else, or why pwcheck started
to look for /var/run/pwcheck instead of /var/state/pwcheck. Could anyone
please explain what has happened, and possibly point me to the proper
solution?

But I looked in /var/run earlier and there was no link. So my symlink must have been deleted or something.

It's working again, but I worry that if the server were to reboot due to a power outage that it will be down again.

Curtis

nate wrote:

Curtis Vaughan said:

fork()                                  = 1033

try strace -fF /usr/sbin/pwcheck

maybe it can catch the stuff that happens in the fork

nate