Re: Problem with GDM/Xfree86 and apm_bios

This one time, at band camp, MattW said:

> On Woody, Kernel 2.4.19, Stable,
>
> I am running the latest Xfree85 4.2.1 version and can now boot up into
> GDM console log in, but when I try to log in, it flashes the screen,
> pauses,
> then returns me to the login screen again.  Ive tried this with several
> different user accounts.
>
> The /var/log/Xfree86.0.log file gets the following messages:
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
> removing from list!
> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
> (==) NV(0): Write-combining range (0xf4000000,0x2000000)
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
> removing from list!
> (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
>

> So, I checked for /dev/apm_bios - it exists, but APM is disabled on my
> system due to
> the fact that its a dual-processor (SPM) kernel....

Is this, by chance, some kind of Mac?  I remember seeing something about
this on one of the various debian lists, let me look . . . here it is.

It's the thread that starts with:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200210/msg02601.html

and seems to imply that you should install powermgmt-base.  Of course,
if this is not Mac hardware, or if you feel that powermgmt-base would be
too much of a pain on an SMP machine, not sure what else to tell you,
but perhaps that thread will have other suggestions.

HTH,
Steve

--
"He flung himself on his horse and rode madly off in all directions."