Re: newbie, what flavour for my old hardware?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 12:34:50PM +0100, James Finch wrote:
>    what version of debian is suitable for an Apricot SL550, 75MHz
>    pentium, 0.84GB hard drive, 32MB ram? Would i be safer with
>    Mandrake 8.2 as i have been told? i know bugger all.

In general you're likely to be able to install Debian on older machines
than Mandrake, because it's less reliant on graphical interfaces. The
installation manual for woody (Debian 3.0) says:

  You must have at least 12MB of memory and 110MB of hard disk space.
  For a minimal console-based system (all standard packages), 250MB is
  required. If you want to install a reasonable amount of software,
  including the X Window System, and some development programs and
  libraries, you'll need at least 400MB. For a more or less complete
  installation, you'll need around 800MB. To install everything
  available in Debian, you'll probably need around 2 GB. Actually,
  installing everything doesn't even make sense, since some packages
  conflict with others.

(The numbers may be a bit out of date, but the minimum values shouldn't
have changed all that much.)