Re: Newbie networking problems; pppd with Woody.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:05:36PM -0500, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> I've been frustrated for a long time about a problem I'm having with DNS
> lookup. The first time I try to initiate internet connection with pppd I
> consistently receive the following type error:
>
> barry@debian:/etc/ipmasq$ ping pop.mindspring.com
> ping: unknown host pop.mindspring.com
>
> -or-
>
> fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop.mindspring.com
> fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
>
> On a second attempt to initiate the connection, the error always goes
> away. I do believe this is some type of DNS error with pppd, but I'm not
> adequately knowledgeable about networking & DNS to understand. I'm
> running Debian 3.0, with 2.2.20, and ppp 2.4.1.uus-4.
>
> I'm in the midst of trying to get ipmasq working and I think this problem is
> preventing from achieving success. I'm a very frustrated newbie.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf file:
> domain debian
> nameserver 207.69.188.185
> nameserver 207.69.188.186
>
> How can I troubleshoot?
>
> Please help,
> Barry Mathieu
>

> --

Are you sure you are letting pppd connect fully before trying to ping?
Get the IP of pop.mindspring.com and next time that happens try pinging
just the IP, if that works, but pinging the name failes, then you have
a DNS problem for sure.

The line:
domain debian

in your /etc/resolv.conf probably isn't helping. Its better to use
search rather than domain. If you don't have a domain of your own,
I'd just use mindspring.com or maybe the domain of your dialup IP.