Web site users, and ftp

So, I have a few users I want to add to my web server, but I have a question or two.

So with apache installed, I am not sure where I should store all the web data, previously I was storing in /var/www.

I wan't users to be able to upload their content easily without hassle.

Problem 1. When a user connects thorough ftp, presently they have to change to the /var/www/users folder to upload data. This is a problem because not only will they have trouble changing directorys, a smart user can browse my entire server from ftp.

Problem 2. When a user uploads a file, they have to change permissions on that file, problem is that a lot of users, will be using Dreamweaver, and Dreamweaver requires a Permissions extension to allow changing a permission, I don't want to have to explain to them how to use this.

I came from a Micro$oft enviroment where all this mentioned above was done automaticly, is there any way to make this an automatic process to eliminate the users calling me all the time?

Maybe I should be putting all the web site files in the users home directory, that would make the directory change easier, but I don't think it will solve the permissions problem. maybe there is a way to make the permissions in the users directory to default to 755 or something. I have been having trouble finding these answers, if there is a page I can read, then I will I just need to know where to look.

Thanks for any info.

Debuser
Debian Woody 3.0
Proftpd