Re: Sendmail and smtp-auth

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:19:28 -0600
Gary Lowder <malloc@mudbug.org> wrote:

> How do enable smtp-auth when using Sendmail?  Testing's Sendmail
> (8.12.6-7) says it supports SMTP AUTH (SASL/PAM).  I've also installed
> the libsasl-modules-plain, and libsasl-digestmd5-plain.  Reading SASL's
> docs talks about having an entry for type of password in Sendmail.conf,
> "pwcheck_method:" (sasl's Sendmail.conf, not sendmail's sendmail.conf),
> but the docs refer to it being placed in /usr/lib/sasl/.  With Debian's
> file layout, those are not config files, but the libs sasl uses.  I'm
> lost.

Sorry, I'm not much further than you, but maybe a bit. I've got sid,
so YMMV.

I've installed the sasl libs and modules (would be nice, if there
where some dependencies helping in finding them or a file listing
them; don't install sasl2 which is not supported). Then and I added

	TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
	define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl

to sendmail.mc and used saslpasswd to register a password. The log
shows that CRAM-MD5 will be used by default by my MUA. What fooled me
a lot was that I needed to specify a realm (domain) to do so, as the
default didn't work. This seems to work for me, but not from a Windows
box. Also, I'm having troubles defining the certificate for TLS, which
I installed running the script update_tls. Maybe this helps you, or
even, you find out some more and can share your wisdom...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br