Re: encrypting a single file

04.11.2002 22:57:08, Levi Waldron <levi.waldron@utoronto.ca> wrote:

>Is there a simple way to encrypt a single text file on my system, so that it
>can only be viewed if you know the password?  I want to securely store my
>online username/passwords, bank card PINs, etc that I'm always forgetting.

Very easy

vim -x <filename>
or, if you want a gui
gvim -x <filename>
and if you do not know vi, you may want to use evim (e=easy)

BUT from the vim - help:

- The algorithm used is breakable.  A 4 character key in about one hour, a 6
  character key in one day (on a Pentium 133 PC).  This requires that you know
  some text that must appear in the file.  An expert can break it for any key.
  When the text has been decrypted, this also means that the key can be
  revealed, and other files encrypted with the same key can be decrypted.

BTW: pkzip uses the same encryption.

If you want unbreakable encryption, you must go for a program able to
handle a "One Time Pad" and you must only use each Pad once.

But for the less paranoic, the vim-way may be appropriate.

Michael