Re: creating /dev/hd[m-t]

* Sven Heinicke (sven@research.nj.nec.com) [021104 11:54]:
> With woody, I got a system with 20 IDE drives (5 IDE cards).  The kernel
> in finding all of them but /dev/MAKEDEV seems to only know how to make
> up to /dev/hdl:
>
> ds2:/dev# ./MAKEDEV hdl
> ds2:/dev# ./MAKEDEV hdm
> ./MAKEDEV: don't know how to make device "hdm"
>
> but I need up to /dev/hdt, I think I know what the major and minor
> numbers to use as I have another distro (Mandrake) running on a similar
> system that figured out all the drive letters but I wish to bet a better
> way to figure this out then "install another Linux and look" in the
> docs.
>
> Where do I look, even in the code if necessary, to find this out?

The best place to start is /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt (or
equivalent, wherever you may keep your kernel source).

Also, in case it helps:
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      88,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/hdm
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      88,  64 Aug 30  2001 /dev/hdn
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      89,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/hdo