From: DEFFONTAINES Vincent [mailto:Vincent.DEFFONTAINES@coe.int]
Sent: 04 November 2002 10:39
To: 'Debian'
Subject: RE: pptp vpn

You can use freeswan (www.freeswan.org) which is a good implementation of IPSEC on ipv4 for linux. Yes it is a linux kernel patch, for "client" side as for "server" (gateway) side. Due to some USA laws everyone knows about, there is no way freeswan could be integrated into the official linux kernel.

You will be able to use it with any OS that supports IPSEC.

I suggest you read both from freeswan website mentionned above, and the excellent FAQ from Jean-François Nadeau. http://jixen.tripod.com/

About pptp, I do not know much, exept the "pptp/vpn" bloat included by default in windows is indeed very insecure and should not be used by anyone caring about security. Use IPSEC if you want to do VPN.

But hey, anyway anyone caring about security wouldn't set up a VPN end on a windows box, would they?

Vincent