[OT] Pointer for data aquisition over serial port

Hi List

The subject says it (nearly) all: I have an old spectrophotometer which has
a serial port. According to the manual, it reads commands in cleartext, and
outputs its measured data in clear text as well. So what I need is a software
that allows me to send such commands to the serial port, and read the results
back over serial port into a file. Any pointers (or ready programs :)) ?

Thanks
joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.