Re: mkfile(8) in Debian?

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 12:50:45PM +0900, Hiroki Horiuchi wrote:
> I want to create a zero filled (even holed) file of a given size.
> In SunOS, I can do that with mkfile(8). But there seems to be no such
> GNU command.

If I understand what you're trying to do, you can do it with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/file/to/create bs=<whatever> count=<whatever>

bs is block size to use, count is number of blocks. If you're writing to
a file the block size can be anything, it's mainly important when you're
reading or writing a tape or something and need to maintain the right
block size for I/O.

--
Michael Heironimus