Re: Making a java 1.4.1 deb

mdevin sez:
} Is there some way that I can use the Sun Linux install binary and
} convert it to a deb so that when Blackdown releases theirs, my system
} will automatically upgrade to their version?  Actually, Blackdown has a
} binary install version for 1.4.1 beta but no deb package.  Is it
} possible to use this and somehow make it into a .deb?
[...]

What I have done on my Debian install, with great success, is to use
alien with the RPM that Sun makes available for Linux. It is vastly
irritating that most software is released in RPM, but it is a delight
that they can be converted to .deb and, often, installed and used
successfully.

That doesn't mean that everything will work with alien... but enough
does, and that which does not can be rolled back easily.

Note that it will not automatically upgrade with the Blackdown release.
Indeed, it should conflict with it.

} Cheers.
} Mark.
--Greg