Re: for tecnical linux users

messmate wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:34:56 +1030
> Tom Cook <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>
> | On  0, David Pastern <david@scsenterprises.com.au> wrote:
> | > messmate said on 30 October 2002 7:52 PM

> | > help.

> | > Messmate, i'd suggest re-flashing the bios again.  Make sure you follow the
> | > flashing instructions exactly. The only other thing I can think of is a
> | > damaged bios chip (if it's soldered into the motherboard it's a pretty
> | > crappy motherboard - it should be removable).  Hope this helps.
> |
> | I think the point is that he can't boot anymore, so can't flash the
> | bios.
> |
> | Can you get to the BIOS setup screen?
> You're right. I can't get the setup screen of the bios.
> The error occured before/end of the bios loading so can't do a
> 'del' or 'F1'.
> I followed the update instructions carefully and did no mistake.
> DON'T UPDATE or FLASH A BIOS, no more :-(
> mess-mate

I flashed the bios on my debian pc (an old P266), but the new revision
of bios didn't work. So, i used the same utility to read the previous
bios i saved as a file. However, it refused to read it! (some stupid
error message) Luckily, i did an alternative backup; i also copied
the bios chip with an eprom programmer and restored it that way.