automating the lbdb queries?

I just started using the little brother's database and it work's like
a charm, especially in conjuntion with my palm. now i would like to
integrate it into mutt a little better.

i usually start emails in mutt in one of two ways, both of which
reflect my strong usage of the mutt aliases file:

  - `mutt <recipient>` from the command line
  - start a new message in mutt (with $autoedit and $edit_headers) and
    putting the alias or recipient into the To: line in the editor
    (direct editing of the headers).

both these methods work with aliases perfectly, now I would like them
to do the same thing with the query_command.

i.e.:

  starting mutt from the command line as
    mutt pan

  should execute
    lbdbq pan

  and use the resulting line to address the mail to Peter Pan
  <peter@pan.com>.

is this possible with mutt? how?

today, i will gladly share my experience and advice,
for there are no sweeter words than "i told you so."