Re: apt help

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:18:20 +0200
shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:

SN> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:56:14AM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
SN> > Hi,
SN> >
SN> > I'm working with apt and have a few queries:
SN> >
SN> > 1. I've copied the first 3 woody disks on my hard disk in
SN> > /var/cache/apt/cds/[123].
SN> >
SN> > I want apt to recognize these sources as the primary installation
SN> > sources. I made changes in /etc/apt/sources.list, saying:
SN> >
SN> > deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/1/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
SN> > non-US/contrib non-US/main
SN> >
SN> > deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/2/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
SN> > non-US/contrib non-US/main
SN> >
SN> > deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/3/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
SN> > non-US/contrib non-US/main
SN> >
SN> > this, however, doesn't work... it gives lots of error messages while
SN> > installing anything, couldn't stat, etc..
SN> >
SN> > how to configure it?
SN> >
SN>
SN>
SN> The error messages can help to figure out what is missing. Can you quote
SN> them here?

The error messages are:

Err file: potato/unstable Packages
  File not found
Ign file: potato/unstable Release
Err file: potato/contrib Packages
  File not found

Failed to fetch
file:/var/cache/apt/cds/1/cdrom/dists/dists/potato/unstable/binary-i386/Pack
ages  File not found Failed to fetch
file:/var/cache/apt/cds/1/cdrom/dists/dists/potato/contrib/binary-i386/Packa
ges  File not found

W: Couldn't stat source package list file: potato/non-US/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/_var_cache_apt_cds_3_cdrom_dists_dists_potato_non-US_mai
n_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

each of these 3 classes of errors were repeated many times.

SN> > 2. I want to install kde-3.0.4, or whichever >3 version is available.
SN> > how do I go about doing this? I just have an entry for
SN> > security.debian.org in my sources.list. do I have to add more?
SN> >
SN> >
SN>
SN>
SN> As far as I know, kde > 3 has nothing to do with security.debian.org.
SN> You will need to get some apt repository of that version of kde. Try to
SN> look in old messages for the few debian developers who put some
SN> unofficial repositories in their home page or look in the web for others
SN> who put such repositories.

yes; the security.debian.org was added later on, after installation. I just
wanted a http:// or ftp:// reference to kde...

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:20:42 +1030
Tom Cook <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

TC> Yah, I thought kde3 was only in unstable at present, but I can't even
TC> find it there at the moment.  In fact I can't find an apt-gettable
TC> archive anywhere, but there is an almost apt-gettable archive at:
TC>
TC> http://ftp.du.se/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/latest/Debian/woody/

thanks; but I still haven't figured out what to write in the sources.list
file... could you pls tell me? also, after doing that, I guess I'll have to
run apt-get update. After that, what do I actually do to get kde-3.0.4?

Simply apt-get install kde-3.0.4, or is it something else? The webpage README
mentioned about updating qt3 first... how?

thanks,
Amit.