Re: Something missing in Gnome2 Control Center?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 02:00:25PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> I've installed and uninstalled gnome-control-center/experimental (I
> wish there was a virtual package named gnome-control-centre that
> called it in - not being American, it is far more natural to type
> that,) and each time, my Control Center/Desktop Preferences/Server
> Settings/System Settings is constrained to: Screensaver. Nothing else.
> No Window Manager, Background, Mouse Properties - whatever. Add in
> that the Screensaver configuration doesn't run, and things are a bit
> limiting.

I have run into this problem as well, it has something to do with
gnome-vfs (that helps a lot I'm sure ;-) ) I have found, that pointing
nautilus to "preferences:///" will give you the list of capplets.

One thing you can do is check the contents of
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders to see if there are any files that are not
supposed to be there (i.e. not part of any package, do dpkg -S filename
on each file).

> I'm also wondering where to look for a settings applet to change
> window managers - there doesn't appear to be one with
> gnome-control-center/experimental, and my apt-cache and apt-file
> searches aren't getting me any closer. Have I missed a page of
> directions in this transition?

gnome2 does not have a readily available way to change wm's (for some
reason, that option was deemed "crack"). the way I did it earlier today
was to "killall metacity && sawfish" from a terminal, then run
gnome-session-properties to remove metacity, and set sawfish as a
respawning process, then run gnome-session-save. Come on now, isn't that
more intuitive? ;-)

-Mark