Re: Still having trouble with ripping/burning CDs

> Have you got this working?   If not, I'm not sure if this will help but
> did you try messing with the bios settings for the drive.  I don't know
> if the kernel even notices these but maybe you could try something like
> setting PIO to 2 and disable DMA in the bios.  Is there evidence that
> your model burner writes and rips successfully in linux? Have you tried
> a different ide cable? maybe a different kernel version if you have one
> installed...

Finally got a chance to look at this again.  I tried updating my kernel
to see if that would take care of things.  I used the Debian-packaged
2.4.19 kernel.  Yes, I know how to build a kernel, I just don't like
extra work. :)

Still no joy on the ripping with the device.  I keep getting the same
errors that was getting before.

On a whim I tried burning a CD with xcdroast.   Amazingly, this worked
with both the old (2.4.18) kernel and the new one. My drive I guess is
equipped with some software that reduces the chance of buffer underruns.
I guess that xcdroast knows how to use this, while cdrecord does not.

I don't know.  I'm still very interested in getting this fixed the
"right way".  However, since I can rip with my dvd drive, and the cdrw
now works, the priority of this is now much farther down the list.

Thanks to all who helped out.  If you have any more ideas, I'm willing
to listen.

Thanks.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic