Re: wireless networking addressing question

Balazs,

> And if this is the only easy way, then I would simply not use the
> built-in NIC. However, since the built-in NIC is about 10 times
> faster, I was kinda hoping that I could somehow make it possible,
> that whenever I am at my desk or whenever I need to transfer large
> amount of data to the notebook I could just simply "switch" to the
> built-in NIC.

Yes, you can. The issue is one of addressing. You cannot have two
different *active* interfaces with the same IP address or even within
the same subnet at the same time.

What you can do is make sure you only have one interface active at a
time. Because the wireless access point is acting as a bridge and
nothing else, the same address can be used for both interfaces.

However, the MAC addresses will be different. You must give your switch
a chance to clear its ARP cache so that the same IP address does not
seem to be coming from two different MAC addresses at the same time.

The easiest thing to do would be to give your two NIC's two different
addresses in the same subnet, making sure they are not active at the
same time. Smart network equipment like routers can deal with having two
routes to the same destination, end-point equipment like hosts do not
deal with that so well.

I also went through a bit of effort to make sure that the wireless
access-point I bought was a bridge and nothing else. I believe in stupid
networks and smart hosts as the most reliable and scalable method. But
smart hosts means taking the time to set things up right first.

Curt-

--
"Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
 Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.