jpilot fails to sync

I can use pilot-link to sync and transfer between my Clie and laptop
just fine. I am using USB and usbserial.o, so I do have to press the
Clie Hotsync button about 3 seconds before I start something like
pilot-xfer, but it works.

However, jpilot doesn't seem to work. No matter whether I press
hotsync 3 seconds before starting the program or before telling it to
sync, or whether I press Hotsync after telling jpilot to sync, there
is just no connection whatsoever.

There were times when I would get pi_bind errors, but I can't
reproduce them now. Right now, the Clie simply times out.

But jpilot is based on pilot-link, is it not? Does anyone know how
I can fix this?

thanks!

`. `'`