Re: Kernel compilation

30/12/2002 19:24:15, "cobb" <cobbjb1@cox.net> wrote:
>Can anyone explain it, or point me to a document SPECIFIC to Debian?
install ncurses-dev

im not an expert but if i were to build a new kernel, this is how i would do it...

1. apt-get install libncurses5
2. apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18 [or whatever]
2.1 this should go to /usr/src, untar/zip if its archived
3. make menuconfig [my preference, im sure other people prefer other ways]
4. make dep [never seen any use in make clean -comments anyone?]
5. make bzImage [use -j3 if you are using SMP -much quicker]
6. find bZimage [usually in ./arch/i386/boot]
7. cp bzimage to /boot [anywhere would do but /boot seems logical]
8. edit /etc/lilo.conf -add section 	image=/boot/bzImage
					alias=3
					[blahblah]
9. execute lilo

hope that helps,