strange autologout behavior

Hi all.

We have a Woody machine here which closes users' sessions (both virtual
terminals and X sessions) after some amount of idle time (the users of
the system have narrowed it down to "somewhere between fifteen and sixty
minutes").  The autologout daemon is not installed on the system as far
as I can tell from dpkg, but when an X session dies we sometimes see the
message "AutoLogout" printed to the console.

At least, we did until the last apt-get upgrade; now we get what looks
more like X crashing.

If I startx, switch back to a virtual term, and set the clock forward a
few hours, then switch back to vt7, my session is still there until I
move the mouse or use the keyboard, at which time I get the crash.

For what it's worth, I've had a VNC X session running idle (no client
connected) since yesterday afternoon.  So whatever does this appears to
apply only to console sessions.

I can't figure out what's doing this.  I installed the machine myself,
and none of the other Debian boxen I've set up have exhibited this
behavior.  I realize this is probably a pretty vague question but I'm
not sure what other information would be useful.  Stumped over here.

Any hints greatly appreciated, thanks.

-mrj
--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that