Re: sparc mouse

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:47:13PM +0400, Andrei Smirnov wrote:

> Anyone know if sparc station 1 has PS/2 mouse? (it is an optical
> 3-button mouse, plugged into keyboard)

IIRC the optical three-button sun mice were made by Mouse Systems.
Unfortunately, Mouse Systems appears to now be a part of the German
conglomerate KYE, and no longer selling that style of mouse retail.

My first PC mouse was the serial version (RS-232 9-pin DIN) of the
exact same mouse design.  I would not be surprised if the Sun version
of the Mouse Systems mice were RS-232 mice with an unusual pin
configuration to keep you buying the pricer version from Sun.

Many PS/2 mice can pretend to be a serial mouse with a simple wire
adapter (frequently shipped with the mouse).  You might be able to
find the pinout for the Sun mouse connecter, and construct an
equivalent wire adapter for a PS/2 mouse.  Warning: the resolution
might be a little off, and I wouldn't expect to get anything past
three buttons (i.e. no mouse wheel).

Alternately, I think Sun still sells their old-style mice.  They're
probably not cheap.

Best of Luck
-Gleef