Re: NVidia Card and Framebuffer Support

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:39:11AM -0700, Dale K Dicks wrote:
> I want to be able to use vga=791 as a kernel option on boot.  Currently
> if I try to do this I get a black screen so I have to use vga=7.
>
> I have an NVidia Geforce 3 card.  I tried to cat /dev/fb0 but I get:
>
> cat: /dev/fb0: No such device
>
> I looked through all the kernel options and didn't see framebuffer
> support.  Am I missing something?  Is it even possible to use
> framebuffer with an NVidia card?

This is from the kernel's Documentation/Configure.help:

nVidia Riva support
CONFIG_FB_RIVA
  This driver supports graphics boards with the nVidia Riva/Geforce
  chips.

I don't know if it works with your Geforce 3, it didn't work with my
brother's Geforce 4, so I chose vesa for that matter; I suppose
it should work for you as well. Of course you don't get some nice
options (like mode-switching on the fly).
Here's what I have in my grub's menu.lst: vga=0x317
video=vesa:ywrap. This may differ for lilo -- this is an excerpt
from Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt, where you can find out more about
video modes in general:

1. Note: LILO cannot handle hex, for booting directly with
"vga=mode-number" you have to transform the numbers to decimal.

2. Note: Some newer versions of LILO appear to work with those
hex values, if you set the 0x in front of the numbers.

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates