problem with rexecd

I am not sure this is a Debian issue, but maybe someone on this list can
help me.

I am trying to execute a command on a Debian box from a Windows XP box using
the rexec command. (Yes, I know about the lack of security, but in this case
that is not an issue.)

Here is some output from the inetd.conf and syslog:

$ cat /etc/inetd.conf |grep rexec
exec		stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/sbin/in.rexecd

$ cat /var/log/syslog |grep rexecd
Oct 30 15:54:59 TOKYO in.rexecd[1822]: connect from 192.168.1.118

On the Windows XP box I have a Java program that implements the rexec
command, and I have also tried the Windows XP version of the rexec command.
The Java version returns with a SocketException error and a "Connection
Reset", the Windows version just stops responding.
According to the syslog on the Debian box the connection is made, but I am
clueless of what happens after that.
I am not a very experienced Linux user, so please provide details if
possible.

Wim