Re: no taskbar in gnome2

-- David Wright <ichbin@shadlen.org> wrote
(on Tuesday, 29 October 2002, 03:03 PM -0800):
> I just upgraded to gnome2 in sid, and ran into a problem: there is no
> gnome taskbar (the thing with applets and a footprint menu). Most
> annoying this about this is that it's now impossible for a user to log
> out! (I have to become root and restart gdm.) Surely this can't be the
> way it was meant to be...
>
> At first I tried converting and got this behaviour. Then I deleted
> .gnome2 and logged in again, hoping it would then give me a rational
> default. Still no taskbar. How do I get a taskbar and how do I get to
> some preferences page that will let me set stuff up?
Is there any way for you to open a terminal? If so, run "panel &" from
it, and you'll get your panel back. As for a permanent fix... you'll
have to hope somebody else answers -- I'm a blackbox user...

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net