Re: Please Help

On Monday 28 October 2002 12:39 pm, Siinnerr@aol.com wrote:
> I am new to this all and i am having trouble making a boot disk to do an
> initial install
> of debian on a laptop (Compaq armada m700 w/ floppy drive)
> please write or call me i need help
> 310-792-1934

Here are a few tips I hope will be helpful, without knowing about your
problem specifically.

If you're new to Linux and not a computer whiz, I'd say just buy an official
Debian CD, it'll save you one step and a lot of time if you don't have a fast
internet connection.  For vendors, see http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/  You
only really need to buy the first CD, so it will be cheap.  You can get the
binary-1 CD that you need from www.chguy.net for $5 US, shipping inc.

If you really want to download the CD, use jigdo - it's wonderfully easy.
http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/  Choose the binary-1 with-US CD.  Go with
the primary mirrors, ie ftp.us.debian.org - I haven't had much luck with the
secondary mirrors.

Make sure you have your CD drive before your hard drive in boot sequence in
your BIOS, so it will boot off the CD when it's in place.

Print out a copy of the Debian installation manual, at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install
It is your friend, it will help you through.

Some others have had success installing Linux on your laptop.  See
http://www.linux-laptop.net for experiences and specific advice for your
model.

If you are confused by terminology or get an error message along the way, try
pasting it into google.com and google.com/groups - a very quick way to get an
answer.

If that doesn't answer your question, post as concise a question as you can
to debian-user and you will probably get a quick answer.  If you can't handle
the email volume from the debian-user list, you could read the list archives
at http://lists.debian.org for the responses and not actually subscribe.

Congratulations on escaping from AOL!