Re: KDE still won't load completly

Daniel Fabian wrote:

Hi List,

Sorry if I'm a pain in the neck, but on my laptop, KDE still won't load
completly. I have removed the .kde directory and tried to login both as root
and as not priviledged user, but it just won't work. Whenever it's at the
keyboard symbol of the splash screen, it returns back to the loginmanager. I
also tried another loginmanager (kdm instead of xkd, that's better for the
eye :), no success.

In order to keep this mail as small as possible, I put the XFree86 logfile
on my webserver (http://fabiand.net/XFree86.0.log). In the last line, it
says that it "Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M". I tried to
install xfonts-pex but for some strange reasons, apt-get says package not
found (oh, now that I think about it: perhaps its on cd 3-7?). Do you thing
installing this package would help?

thanks in advance,
Daniel

It may be a problem with X instead of with KDE. If there are any other wm's listed in the KDM menus, such as ICEWM or WindowMaker, try one of those. Also, take KDM out of the picture. Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the first virtual terminal, create the files .xinitrc and .xsession, with the single line
   icewm
and make sure icewm is installed (apt-get install icewm), then run "startx -- :1" which will start a second instance of X on the second X display (VT7).

Let us know the results.

Sometimes a font problem will prevent X from starting up; sometimes not. If there aren't any other errors, then yeah, installing that package might help.

Kent