Re: Installation problem.

Please start a new thread for new questions, instead of tacking it on
the end of an existing thread.  Also, splitting things into paragraphs
makes it easier to read for us, and more likely that you'll get answers.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:03:38PM +0100, Erik Pols wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is what I want: install Debian on a Compaq Pentium I. I can connect a
> cd-rom drive to it, but I can't make it bootable (compaq: no bios-setup).
>
> The other possibility is to install debian using the internet
> (ftp.nl.debian.org) as a source for the packages. In order to do this I
> needed two disks, a rescue disk and a root disk.

You can boot from floppies, and then get your packages from CDs.  It'd be
a lot quicker than downloading everything...

> When I boot I get the error
> described in the installation guide,
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html section
> 5.6.1 The floppydrive doesn't recognise the root disk, and I am flowed with
> I/O errors. The rescuedisk is no problem. I created the disk by downloading
> them and rawrite them to disk. The site suggests redownloading and retrying,
> but I retried 6 times now, without result. I also tried another diskdrive.
> (same type).

You have tried a new floppy disk, right?

> Is there a way to solve this? I just want to install Debian, so other
> possibilities are appreciated as wel.

If you can't replace the floppy drive, and can't boot from a CD, your
best bet is to move the hard drive to another machine and install the
base system there.  You will have to be careful when setting up LILO
since the device location may change, and you don't have floppy boot to
fall back on.  I'm not exactly sure how to configure this bit, but maybe
someone else can jump in, or else you'll have to puzzle it out:)

-rob