Re: Poolng/redundancy in apt's sources.list?

Joe Emenaker wrote:
<snip>
What I'd *love* is if there was some way to group a bunch of "deb ..." entries in sources.list together in a group that indicated "These are all redundant. If just ONE of these can be reached, that's good enough". Does apt support this kind of thing yet? - Joe

I don't think apt does, but apt-proxy does.

I don't have multiple machines (yet) that need updating, but I still run apt-proxy on localhost because it allows this, and uses rsync for package files - which can speed up apt-get update quite a bit. It allows you to specify multiple hosts in order of preference for each source you define. You then point apt at the local host instead of the actual server and let apt-proxy sort it out. It makes the download status act a little strange in apt, and sometimes a package times out, but I am reasonably happy with it.

HTH
Barney