portfw timeout

Hi,

Running 2.2 kernel with ipchains etc.. firewall setup.  Have got a simple
firewall and have tried both the ipmasq package and a simple firewall builder
GUI called firestarter (seems pretty good for my requirements).

The problem I am having, after successfully compiling and installing the
ip_masq_portfw module, is that the port forwarding is timeing out (despite
clearly listening for connections on the fw port).

I have an ADSL modem with ip EXT_IP and a machine (not the firewall) with
internal ip INT_IP and have configured port forwarding as seems pretty
standard for a web server as follows

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L EXT_IP 80 -R INT_IP 8081
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P udp -L EXT_IP 80 -R INT_IP 8081

(tomcat server as the target).

When I issue the commands above I can tell that forwarding has partially
started as my browser pointing to http://EXT_IP:80 continues to attempt to
load the site (before issueing the portfw commands the browser comes straight
back with unable to connect to host).

If I issue a lsmod I can see the module is being used.

I cannot find any logging.

Have played with hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

Finally I tried a "$ telnet EXT_IP 80" and which stayed in a waiting to
connect state.

Any ideas why I might be getting timeouts?  Clearly something in the chain is
not passing on reuqests.

Suggestions welcome and very appreciated...

Tom