Re: pcmcia stops working on 2.2.20 to 2.4.19 upgrade

Hi Kevin,

Now you should use yenta_socket and the tulip driver. tulip_cb is no longer needed.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Kevin Coyner wrote:

I've got an older IBM 560X laptop that I recently put Debian 2.2.20 on.
The pcmcia card that I got to work was a Netgear FA511 ethernet.  Once I
got it all working and the pcmcia/ethernet connected to the internet, I
decided to do an upgrade of the kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.19.  So I
apt-get install'd:

kernel-image-2.4.19-386
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.29-386

The DL and install went without a hitch.  I made the minor LILO edits
needed, and fired up the new kernel.  The system started up fine, except
for the fact that I lost the pcmcia.

So I'm wondering what 2.2.20 had in it that 2.4.19 doesn't?

I've compared lsmod for both kernels, and have found that the following
mods are not present in 2.4.19, but are present in 2.2.20:

tulip_cb
cb_enabler
ds
i82365

While in 2.4.19, I've tried insmod tulip_cb and cb_enabler, but both
generate the error message "can't locate module".  I suspect I need
these to get it working under 2.4.19.  I also kind of thought they'd be
in the kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.19-386 package, but perhaps not.
How/where do I get and install them?

Under 2.4.19, I also check /var/log/syslog and noted the following
entries:

Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
	options :[pci][cardbus][pm]
ds: no socket drivers loaded
cardmgr[224]: starting, version is 3.1.33
cardmgr[224]: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices
cardmgr[224]: exiting

Looking for a little help deciphering these clues.  Probably pretty
obvious to many, but not so to someone like me that is still climbing up
the curve (and loving it). Thanks.

Kevin