Re: dual-booting with debian

Matt wrote:
> I have done this on several machines.
>
> By far the easiest is to erase everything from the machine and start from
> scratch.
>
> Then, install w2k.  Do not use the whole drive though, but how big a
> partition to make, will be dependant on how big your drive is and what you
> will be using the two OSs for.
>
> Once win2k is installed, install Debian on the rest of the drive space.

Before doing this, go into win2k's disk manager and remove the drive letters
for the intended Debian partitions, otherwise windows will slow to a crawl.

> If this deb build is just for playing with, experimenting, learning etc,
> then I would not bother with creating 4,5,6,7 partions, just create one
> Linux swap (I just double the physical memory), and install linux on the
> remaining.
> Now, many people will say this is wrong, that you should create several
> partitions.
> They might be right, but I don't care much for Right/Wrong with computers,
> Works/Doesn't Work is so much more useful.

I agree with this, but since you have experience with Linux you probably
know what you want.

> When the install asks, choose the option to include all the OSs in Lilo.
>
> When it boots, you can choose which to boot from.
>
> Matt

Or you can use the win2k loader and Bootpart as detailed here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html
in case you're worried about having to re-install windows later.  I found
this tutorial quite helpful too:
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/multibootlinux/
although it does seem a lot easier to use Lilo.  Make sure you have rescue
disks for both OS's!

HTH, Jerry