Re: VMware & Debian 3.0

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:32:46PM +0200, Alexey Chetroi wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 12:55:38PM -0500, Greg Norris wrote:
> > From: Greg Norris <haphazard@kc.rr.com>
> > Subject: Re: VMware & Debian 3.0
> >
> > Working great here... version 3.2 installed from the tarball.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 10:49:53AM +0200, Aedificator wrote:
> > > Any experiences with Debian and WMware 3.X?
>
>  It works for me, beside one nasty problem: I have to reconfig
> vmware (vmware-config.pl) upon every reboot. It is installed
> from tarball in /usr/vmware and once compiled modules starts and
> stops normally untill next reboot. I'm using kernel-image-2.4.18-686
> devfs is also enabled. Anybody had the same problem?

I had something similar - the symptom was that the vmnet* was broken.
Creating the device nodes helped, but win-whatever would still complain
and say "There's another machine with the same name on this network".

Turned out that I needed to re-run my firewalling rules *after*
/etc/init.d/vmware - I had them set up to run quite early in the proces.

In the end I re-installed vmware and told it to use
/usr/local/etc/init.d and /usr/local/etc/rc*.d - the default priorities
for it did not fit too well with samba (and my firewalling).

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com        http://karl.jorgensen.com