Re: two more architectures?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 07:43:02PM -0400, Oleg wrote:
> > > As to compiling from deb sources (some else mentioned it in this
> > > thread), the one big inconvenience is that "apt-get upgrade" will
> > > overwrite your optimized program as soon as its next [sub]version is
> > > available.
> >
> > There are plenty of well-documented ways round that, depending on
> > exactly what behaviour you want. There's also apt-src/apt-build to help
> > you manage it automatically.
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit more on where exactly this is
> covered?

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

Heh, now that I look for it I can't find actual documentation of the
simpler method, although I'm sure you could hunt it down in list
archives. You can edit debian/changelog and change the version number,
either by a tiny notch (0.0.1) to prevent apt from overwriting it with
the current version, or by an enormous leap (prepend "1:" or increase
any epoch that's already there).