Questions about custom kernels

Okay I'm seriously considering rolling my own kernel, but I have a few questions first. I've downloaded kernel-source-2.4.16, binutils, bzip2, fileutils, make, and fdutils, is there anything else I need to create a custom kernel.

While I haven't gotten everything to work, there are some things on my system that do work that I'd rather not loose. Namely X-windows with the updated nvidia drivers and my cable modem connection, DHCP worked right out of the box.

During the initial installation of Debian the probing of my sound card failed because I didn't know what arguments to enter. While compiling my custom kernel will I see prompts similar to what I saw during the initial installation. Namely will I get a second chance to enter the correct values for my soundblaster live value card. I checked under windows and and the settings for the SB card were as follows; SB Port 220, MPU Port 330, ABLib Port 388, IRQ 7, 8-bit DMA 1, 16-bit DMA 7. What would be the correct format for any arguments for sound card probing.

Since I'm booting from a floppy is there anyway I can keep my current working bf2.4 based kernel until I'm sure any new kernel is working properly? Or can I have my original boot floppy and a new floppy with the new kernel?

TIA
Lameth