Re: dual-booting with debian

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 14:24, Joyce, Matthew wrote:

I have done this on several machines.

By far the easiest is to erase everything from the machine and start from scratch.

This is a good aproach except when all you have is a recovery disk. I don't
kow how many..but.. all the laptops I looked at during a recent purchase
came only with a recovery disk. These recovery disks will only install on
the original equipment & takes over the whole hard drive. It is either
shrink or format & install Debian, paying the MS tax :(

THIS WORKS (for XP at least):

install debian first!

leave a partition for windows to go on, then shove in the recovery cd.

it'll see the partition as the whole disk, it usually won't even be aware of the linux bits, or that it doesn't have the whole drive to itself.

xp can be lilo'ed quite happily, if not, there's a tool to add linux to the boot menu somewhere... google should find it easily.

iain

(hopefully)