Re: Ogg Vorbis encoder speed

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:29:10AM -0500, Larry W. Irwin Sr. wrote:
>   Hi, I am trying out the jack cd ripper program and using oggenc as
>   the encoder.  It reads music tracks at 5.0x but encodes at 0.1x. Is
>   that normal for ogg? Jack is set to use one encoder at a time.

Ogg does seem to be a bit slower than lame (at similar quality levels),
but not _that_ slow.  My PIII-450 encodes at just about 1.0x, and I
don't think there's an order of magnitude speed difference between my
machine and yours.  Are you running anything else CPU intensive while
you're encoding?

You might try downloading the source package for libvorbisenc and
building your own, optimised package and see if that helps.

-rob