Re: Fwd: Re: troubleshooting the GUI, additional information

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
EasyStreet wrote:

(EE) NEOMAGIC(0): Driver can't support depth 24
In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file
Change the "DefaultDepth" line to one of the
other numbers in a different "Subsection
'Display'", like 16 or 8. Then give it a try.

Kent

EasyStreet wrote:

Thanks, that worked.

How do I change the resolution that I see while I
am in Gnome or KDE?

You probably want to keep your responses on-list, so that:
1) other people can see that your problem was resolved
2) the exchange gets archived, so that other people can benefit in the future from the exchange 3) other people can provide input. For example, I don't much use Gnome or KDE, so may not have the level of expertise to answer your questions. Others on the list may.

As far as I know, the resolution in Gnome and KDE will bethe resolution at which X is running. You can redefine the default resolution in XF86Config-4, or you could use a switching utility like "gvidm" from within X, or you could press Ctrl-Alt-+ or Ctrl-Alt-- (the plus and minus on the numeric keypad, not the top row) to switch between the defined resolutions in XF86Config-4. There may be other ways as well (such as re-running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", or perhaps running some KDE- or Gnome- specific utilities).

Kent