Re: troubleshooting the GUI

EasyStreet wrote:

I have installed Debian 3 on 2 computers.  I have
not been able to get the GUI to work on either
system.

How do I go about troubleshooting the problem.

I am guessing that X Windows needs to work before
either KDM or GDM.  I remember inputting some
information during the install process about
screen frequency and resolution.  Could this be
the place to start?

Most problems are either video- or mouse-related. The first place to start is to not use kdm/gdm/xdm/wdm. You can Ctrl-Alt-Fx (where x=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, in most cases), log in, and as root run "/etc/init.d/[x|g|k|w]dm stop" (using the correct letter - Ctrl-Alt-F7 to make sure the login GUI is gone, then Ctrl-Alt-Fx back). Now start X manually with "startx". When (if?) it fails, you should see a lot of text on the screen (Shift-PgUp to scroll up); somewhere in that text you should see the reason for failure (ie "No screens found", "Can't find PS/2 mouse", etc.). You can capture this text with "startx 2>startx.log".

Kent