Re: PCMCIA network card

Carmen Alfaro said:
> Hi all,
>  I'm trying to find a pcmcia network card that will be fully supported
> under linux, Debian woody 3.0r0 bf24 specifically, but after several
> hours spent browsing around the net I haven't found any. I've tried the
> 3Com site, but for almost every model they list the same remark is shown:
> 'will not work on systems other than windows'. So I'm a tad lost. Can any
> one advise me on any pcmcia card I can use with my laptop?  Thanks in
> advance.

as others pointed out the pcmcia-cs docs are the best bet to find
compadible cards. many of the newer PCMCIA cards from 3com seem to
be 'software' network cards sort of like winmodems which is why they
say they only work in windows. these are usually much cheaper cards,
a good pcmcia NIC(NIC only not NIC+Modem combo) will probably run in
the range of $100 or more.

This 3COM card for example works perfectly under linux. I only use
2.2 but I am certain it will work in 2.4 as well:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CCFE575CT
this card runs $163

or if you prefer a LAN+Modem card, I have one of thse as well and
it works perfectly(Both the LAN and the Modem parts):

3COM 3C562D/3C563D (16bit PCMCIA)

though I can't find anywhere that sells it still I guess it's real
old. too bad, since the dongle on it is real good.

I have also used a bunch of Xircom(now Intel) cards, every single
one I've tried has worked fine.

nate