configuring fontpath for Xfig

I'm running a current debian-testing/unstable setup and I can't find howto configure the fontpath for the Xfig graphics program. The ghostscript fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts. I can't find anything in the Xfig documentation. When I try to change fonts or even font size when entering text in the program it pops up an error message that the font can't be found and reverts to the standard font. The program is looking for adobe fonts which are installed under /usr/share/fonts/afm/adobe. Do I need to configure the fontpath somewhere?

Thanks mike
--
Michael Moyles          mmoyles@immunochem.com
            http://www.immunochem.com