Strange problem w/Ripping CDs

Recently I've ripped most my CD collection (with jack using
ogg vorbis encoding).
However, now I can't rip audio files (wav) from my cd-rw
drive anymore.  Here's the skinny:
I used to have both an internal CDROM and CD-RW.  The CDROM
drive was a piece of crap so I removed it from the IDE bus
(had both drive on the same cable with the CDROM as master
because it was slightly faster).  Gave away the CDROM
drive.  Now for some reason the CD-RW which is left
operates fine mounting, reading, playing CD music, etc...
all except for ripping CDs.  Tried using cdparanoia and
cdda2wav, both have the same problem:
I'm using scsi-emulation for my CD-RW.
When I try to rip a .wav file I get a scsi transport error.
 The scsi emulation complains that the drive is sending
more data than expected.  By the way, I've tried another
CDROM drive and ide cable and I still get the same error
with those.

Anyone have any clues as to why everything works but
ripping audio cds?  Why did it work before and now it
doesn't?  I'm positive all the device nodes are setup
correctly.  I would like to finish ripping my CD
collection.
Thanks,
jackp