Re: Missing readme for icecast

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:49:28AM -0700, Leo Spalteholz spake thusly:
> Hi,
> I wanted to set up an icecast server (icecast-server 1:1.3.11-4.3 in
> testing) and in the first configuration screen it says:
> "Icecast has been compiled with encrypted passwords support. Plain
> text password consequently won't work. Please read the README.Debian
> file to learn how to generate encrypted passwords"
> However there is no README.Debian file included in the package.
> Is this a bug in the package?
> Where can I get this file or other instructions on how to set up
> icecast in debian?

Hmm. I just realized that I don't have the file either. but I do have
icecast working.

What you need to do (and what I don't remember having to do before, so
it must have changed in the past 6 months or so...) is to run makepasswd
to encrypt your password.

It appears you need to use an input file containing your plaintext
password - create that with a text editor, or with 'echo password >
filename'.

Then type 'makepasswd --crypt --clearfrom filename' and it will output
the plaintext password followed by the encrypted version. Copy and paste
that into /etc/icecast/icecast.conf

--
Jon-o Addleman