Re: Changing Hostname

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:27:32AM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> How do you change your host name after your installation is done?
> (network settings)

$ hostname -h
Usage: hostname [-v] {hostname|-F file}      set host name (from file)
       domainname [-v] {nisdomain|-F file}   set NIS domain name (from file)
       hostname [-v] [-d|-f|-s|-a|-i|-y]     display formated name
       hostname [-v]                         display host name

       hostname -V|--version|-h|--help       print info and exit

    dnsdomainname=hostname -d, {yp,nis,}domainname=hostname -y

    -s, --short           short host name
    -a, --alias           alias names
    -i, --ip-address      addresses for the host name
    -f, --fqdn, --long    long host name (FQDN)
    -d, --domain          DNS domain name
    -y, --yp, --nis       NIS/YP domain name
    -F, --file            read host name or NIS domain name from given file

   This command can get or set the host name or the NIS domain name. You can
   also get the DNS domain or the FQDN (fully qualified domain name).
   Unless you are using bind or NIS for host lookups you can change the
   FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and the DNS domain name (which is
   part of the FQDN) in the /etc/hosts file.
$

> Also, what are valid parameters for host name? I made afresh
> installation of woody in a 386 I got in an auction, and every time gdm
> starts it complains about the host name. I also noticed that email sent
> from console using simple mail commands doesn't go anywhere, it just
> vanishes without trace. This does not happen in another woody box I have.
> Thanks to all in advance.

What is gdm exact words?

--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t